Truth can be dreams: RED number 1

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

RED number 1

My sisters and I all had a book called Schools Days. Each page had a slot that you could put a school picture or memento in. A few years ago I found my book. Being the youngest of 5 girls my book didn’t have much in it. On the page from grade 2 I found some words I had written. There was a line that read, ‘What do you want to be when you grow up.’ I wrote dancer. In the place I grew up there was one dance school but my parents couldn’t afford it. To be a dancer seemed impossible for me. But I still wrote it because it was a deep desire, a call from God. All through high school I was a cheerleader. This was my only outlet for the passion to move and create that lived in me. At 21 I gave my life to Christ and very soon after was using dance for worship and teaching others . This was a stepping-stone to many other forms of expression.

For two years I ran an arts program for the homeless at a mission in downtown Winnipeg. In terms of spaces this mission filled with rapists, raped, lost, broken, smelly, needy people, I found the most incredible place to create and watch creativity take place. The room we worked in was small and stuffy but the walls were covered with colour that had poured out from the patrons. It is, and possibly will, remain the most incredible space I have been in. It was not always easy to be there but it changed me forever. I worshiped in that place, received from God and communed with others.

I’m always balancing what I should share in the greater community and what I should keep just for my self. I am currently in a place where I feel discouraged and alone on this journey. Then I think back to the moment when I was 7 and the word I wrote, dancer, and I am encouraged to continue.
hayes at 11:56 p.m.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It has been 20 years now since my dear friend, Merna invited me to go to a women's retreat with her in the chateau at Lake Louise. She had been fighting a losing battle with leukemia for over a year at the time and was not comfortable sharing a room with someone who could not handle her needing to take her wig off at night. Merna has been the supportive person in my life for many years and it was a true pleasure to share those days with her. When we were leaving the chateau, we stopped at the gift shop. Knowing I danced my fingers in words, she went directly to the section on journals. There among them was one with a dancer on the front and quotes and pictures of dancers on each page. She bought this journal for me, a leagacy from her that I still have to this day though my only conversations to her can now be in the letters among the many thoughts and quotes held in that journal and in others.

My dancing is in my home and yet, as a teacher of music, I now also dance in my class and am creating a climate of joy and creativity there for my students AND for myself.

I have seen your worship in dance, if I am not mistaken, in church. You and others let my heart dance with you. Thank you.

2:16 a.m.  
Anonymous aslan burcunun özellikleri said...

hello nice blog nice blog thanks

5:24 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home