Truth can be dreams: Looking up

Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Looking up

What a beautiful sunny day! This morning we decided to take the kids out for some fun. They have been stuck in the house for a while now with me being sick and all. So they deserved a good fun day. We took them to the children's museum. We have only been there once or twice before. I got this awesome coupon book from the post office I highly recommend that you pick one up. It's full of great deals all over Manitoba. They had a free admission to the museum which came in very handy.

ANYWAY the kids had loads of fun. It was nice to see them run around and play. Now this afternoon we are finally doing some gardening. I really want to grow potatoes this year but I have no idea where to buy the seeds. Anyone out there know?
hayes at 3:30 p.m.

6 Comments:

Blogger Joel said...

have you ever heard of just throwing in smaller potatoes back into the soil? They apparently will grow roots and multiply. It worked for me out of coincidence. There's my tidbit.

6:49 p.m.  
Blogger hayes said...

Thanks Joel. I will do just that.

9:38 a.m.  
Blogger Sonya said...

Yeah, that's what my parents do. But they usually have old potatoes that are already growing sprouts. But I think as long as the potatoes have "eyes" they'll grow. If you have soft soil, you can usually just jam your heel into the ground, pop the potato in and cover it back up (space a step apart). Otherwise, use a spade. Then at some point (once they've come up), you have to "hill" them (pull dirt up around them with a hoe), so that the potatoes don't get exposed to sunlight when they start growing. Pardon me, if you knew all this already...it just sounded like it was your first time.

10:43 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha ha ha ha......for some reason I find great humor in this whole potato thing your talking about.Especially this "If you have soft soil, you can usually just jam your heel into the ground, pop the potato in and cover it back up" and Joel...."just throwing in smaller potatoes back into the soil"It worked for me out of coincidence." Community potato farming tid bits......I will have to try it! I have a whole bunch in my pantry that have "eyes".Ew... maybe I will get new potatoes then they too can grow eyes cause no one in my house ever eats them!But anyhow thanks for the tips and the chuckles! Adi

11:05 a.m.  
Blogger hayes said...

Sonya, what great advice! That will really help me.

Jewel, it is kind of amusing. But I can't wait to grow my own potatoes! If the weather ever clears up.

7:46 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Me too! Im going to plant some today! I hope I dont forget about them.I kill everything by accident.I always have such good gardening intentions...sigh..I also always forget what I planted where.It's hard to be patient too waiting for everything to grow.Anyhow...have a happy day....JEwel

1:20 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home