Truth can be dreams: Taking care of business

Sunday, July 10, 2005

Taking care of business

I am working 5 days this coming week! That's a heck of a lot. I actually can't remember the last time I worked that much. It's probably been 3 years or so. Just for fun here is a brief history of all the jobs I have held.

Job #1, age 12 - shoveling horse poop. My friend and I loved riding horses and we traded shoveling for riding.

#2, age 13 - Bonanza restaurant. I wanted to work so bad that I practically begged them to hire me. I was a few months too young but they hired be anyway. It was a great experience. I think I got paid something like 3.50 an hour! Yikes.

#3, age 18 to 21 - Taco Time. I worked there for about 4 years. My boss was a great guy and I still say hi to him every time I'm in Thunder Bay. Although this was a good job I just wasted my life away for those 4 years. I was avoiding so much. Including God.

#4, age 22 to 23 - Rundle Ridge Chalets. This was amazing! It is located on the #1 highway right between Canmore and Banff, Alta. I woke up everyday to the beautiful mountains. I cleaned the cabins after people checked out, and also worked at the front desk. I loved this job. I worked there 2 seasons and even went back at Christmas to help with the rush time. Amazing people to work for. This was my first experience working for Christians and it was great.

#5, age 22 - SAAN. During the spring I moved to Abostford to live with my sister. Her and her family had just moved there and she was lonely and I didn't want to live in Thunder Bay so it worked out great.

#6, age 23 - Taco Time! Yes that's right again! I lived in Abbotsford a few months and then made my way to Kamloops. I needed a job badly and so worked at a Taco Time. My boss was a little weird. We found out months later that she and her husband where croke and took off with money and stole a car! HELLO! I only worked this job a few months as I needed to head back to Canmore for the summer.

#6.5, age 23 - Time Hortons. I almost forgot that I even had this job. I worked there for two weeks and then quit. My boss was a total jerk. I don't work for people who treat me like crap so I quit. He tried to get away with not paying me so I had to go to workers comp and they got my money for me.

#7, age 24 - Kamloops Christian daycare. I first started working as the janitor and soon was working part time in the daycare. It was pretty decent money.

#8,age 24 to 25 - TACO TIME! YES AGAIN! I needed money to pay rent and eat. I also had a car and needed to pay for insurance and gas so yet again I worked at a Taco Time. I really didn't like it but I did what I had too.

#9, age 24 - Four Points Hotel. While working those other two jobs I also worked at this hotel cleaning rooms. I really like this sort of job. I can go at my own pace and work alone. But I wasn't getting enough hours so after 4 months or so I quit to work more at Taco Time. While I was working Here and Taco TIme I would get off at the hotel and bolt over to Taco Time to start there. It was a crazy time I hope I never have to work like that again!

#10, age 25 - Flyers and Papers (still working at taco time). Carlie and I needed money so we took over a kids paper and flyer root for 3 weeks. It was a pain in the butt and I only made about 100.00 bucks. It was terrible.

#11, age 25 - Little Caesers pizza. Ryan and I were married by this time and I got this job to work at nights to bring in extra money. It wasn't too bad. I had some nights that sucked but I did make good money. I quit all my jobs when we moved to Thunder Bay.

That's all I can remember now. If I think of anymore I will add them later. Wasn't this exciting? HAHAHAHA!
hayes at 7:19 a.m.

7 Comments:

Blogger Ruth said...

Awesome! It made me think of all the jobs I have scattered throughout my past! I did a short stay at a Tim Horton's too, at age 16, and lots of restaurants...(Chris and I met in a restaurant we were working in together)
I love my current job!
I'm not sure I know where you work now?
You sound cheerful, that's great!

11:08 a.m.  
Blogger Charles said...

Actually, sounds kind of interesting. Must take a special kind of person to be able to find jobs that well. I've had one job since college... just call me boring. :)

12:58 p.m.  
Blogger hayes said...

Ruth I work at Kite and Kabootle at the Forks. Its a great job. I love it an will probably work it until Ryan is done school or we move away. Unless of course I get a job as cool as yours...teaching dance.

1:35 p.m.  
Blogger Ruth said...

send me your resume!

2:41 p.m.  
Blogger hayes said...

Ever since I posted this this morning I have been remembering other jobs I have had.

When I was 16 I was a telemarketer and that sucked!

Also when I was in Kamloops while working a few of those other jobs I was a janitor.

And how could I forget that I worked at the YMCA downtown the past year. First babysitting then teaching dance and gymnastics! You think I would have remember that one.

o.k I'm done I need to get working on my resume :)

3:51 p.m.  
Blogger Kristi said...

Fun post! I like learning more quirky facts about you, Alexandra!

8:34 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Taco Time. Taco time in Abbotsford is where me and my four friends (a group of five best friends through high school - just saw Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants that totally reminded me of them) always ate at on Friday night before we went out. I love their cherry empanadas.
Did you ever work at camp?

10:39 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home